Sep 5, 2007

Recently arrived


The trip from Fishtown big Philly stylez to Suzhou China began on a note of pure awesome. My labor day Monday was spent on bike from the town of Fish to East falls and back. The arrival at East Falls was consumated by the glowing sight of Johnny Menanas (pronounced Johnny May-nya-nya-s). Two pointers for the joint;


1) The place has amazingly delicious and extremely cheap sides of vegetables ($1.50). Order three, and your screaming stomach be thoroughly appeased.

2) The taco soup is slightly inferior in deliciousness, however it's real downfall is it price. $4.75 is not what it's worth in the slightest.


After a good rest stop and some tangy margheritas, Steph and I were pleasantly buzzed and returned to the town of Fish with a new objective. Cheapest Margheritas in Philly needed to be found, and needed to be promtly consumed. Objective completed, @ $10 a pitcher the deal was perfect, Mexican Post. Within a couple of hours we were back in the town of Fish with some orange juice and coke to mix with the Grand Marnier and Whiskey left behind from previous 2362 debauchery.


4:20 AM, and I didn't get a blink of shut-eye. Worse off, my ride to the airport was still under the influence. The only option I had was a taxi, which luckily was found and was promptly picking me up before 5:00. A quick goodbye to bunny, and my sleep deprived self was wisked away to Philly International.


The connecting flight was nothing extraordinary. However, Chicaga O'Hare I must admit is one pretty airport. It was clean, spacious, well lit and had wonderful stores. I destroyed my 2 hour layover in no time.


The flight to Pudong international was as expected... as uncomfortable as a 14 and a half hour flight in economy class can possibly be.


The China country side near Shanghai is interesting. On the drive from the airport to Suzhou, I saw countless high rise buildings, uninhabited. I believe they're being built in anticipation for an expansion of population into these areas. Whatever the reason, it was a wierd and eeirie sight. Almost like the end of "Devil's Advocate" where the streets of NYC are completely empty.


And the wildest thing I've noticed so far is the driving (if you wish to call it that). I thought we were going to crash over a dozen times. Tonight, I eat Vientnamese Pork and Curry with cocunut milk and Pork and Mushroom dumplings. Mmmm, room service food.




After a night of nearly no sleep, a long as hell flight with no decent room to relax; I'm off to bed.


They have buckwheat hull filled pillows here (?!!!? wtf). Sweet!

2 comments:

Steph said...

So glad to see you ate a decent meal darling! It looks delicious!

Zach said...

Marc, I am going to eat your taco soup.